Motsepe urges business to help fight Ebola

Patrice Motsepe donated $1 million to the Ebola fund in the Republic of Guinea.

South African businessman Patrice Motsepe. Picture: The Motsepe Foundation.

JOHANNESBURG - South African businessman Patrice Motsepe has called on his peers to help curb the spread of Ebola in West Africa.

Motsepe donated $1 million to the Ebola fund in the Republic of Guinea.

Around 5,000 people have now died from the virus which broke out earlier this year.

The businessman says the virus can be contained if all stakeholders work together.

The Motsepe Foundation's Sandile Langa says the he has called on business and health organisations to continue the fight against the deadly disease.

"He is calling on the African and international business community and those from medical fraternity to continue contributing and assisting to fight the disease."

At the same time, Sierra Leone on Tuesday branded a visa ban imposed by Australia on Ebola-hit nations in West Africa counterproductive and discriminatory against 24 million people living in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia.

Alpha Kanu, Sierra Leone's information minister, said on Tuesday that Australia's move was "too draconian".

He said that measures at Sierra Leone's Freetown airport had successfully prevented anyone flying out of the country with Ebola.

"It is discriminatory in that it is not going after Ebola, but rather it is against the 24 million citizens of Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. Certainly, it is not the right way to go," Kanu told Reuters.

"This measure by the Australian government is absolutely counterproductive."

Additional reporting by Reuters