Man lays charges against Canal Walk security

Kanyiso Majola and 4 friends were shopping at Canal Walk when they were reportedly stopped and searched.

Canal Walk shopping centre has been hit by a number of robberies in recent weeks. Picture: Thomas Holder/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - A Cape Town man has laid criminal charges against a private security company after he was allegedly treated like a criminal at Canal Walk shopping centre.

Kanyiso Majola told Eyewitness News he and four friends were shopping at Canal Walk on Sunday when they were reportedly stopped and searched.

Majola claims they were forced to lie on the parking lot's floor and a security guard pulled out his firearm.

He says he and his friends are still shaken by the incident.

"We have successfully laid a charge of assault, of pointing a firearm, intimidation and also failure to follow security protocols."

He says this is the worst form of racial profiling he has ever experienced.

The centre has been hit by a number of robberies in recent weeks.

Police yesterday arrested a 35-year-old man in connection with the robberies.

The suspect was arrested at the shopping centre on Tuesday afternoon after he was pointed out to police by a member of the public.

Police say he's expected to appear in court soon.

Last week, robbers targeted a shop before closing time and held up the staff.

While the previous week, the centre was hit by two separate robberies.

National Police Commissioner Riah Phiyega's office has set up a national task team, comprising its best police officers in its continued efforts to fight the recent spate of armed robberies in malls across the country.

A number of centres have been hit, mainly in Gauteng, the Western Cape, and KwaZulu-Natal.