Opposition parties welcome Motsoeneng suspension

The Western Cape High Court on Friday ordered the SABC board to serve Hlaudi Motsoeneng with a notice.

SABC Chief Operating Officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng. Picture: EWN

CAPE TOWN - The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) have welcomed a High Court judgment against South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC's) Chief Operating Officer (COO) Hlaudi Motsoeneng which will effectively see him being suspended pending the outcome of a disciplinary hearing.

The Western Cape High Court on Friday ordered the SABC board to serve Motsoeneng with a notice of charges within 14 days before instituting disciplinary proceedings against him.

The charges relate to his alleged dishonesty over his qualifications, purging senior SABC staff and improper conduct.

DA Member of Parliament (MP) Gavin Davis says the judgment is the first part of their legal battle against Communications Minister Faith Muthambi and the SABC board.

The EFF has also reacted to the ruling, saying the judgment vindicates the Public Protector, whose office the African National Congress (ANC) government has defied.

Earlier this year, the Public Protector found Motsoeneng misrepresented his matric qualifications to the SABC.

Despite this, Muthambi approved the SABC board's decision to make his appointment as COO permanent.

The DA then launched an application to have his appointment set aside.

Two months ago Muthambi revealed that Motsoeneng earned R2,87 million last year which is more than the earnings of President Jacob Zuma.

She said Motsoeneng's salary rose from just over R1,6 million in 2011 to nearly R2,5 million in 2012.

Davis said in 2010, Motsoeneng was earning around R330,000 a year as a radio producer.

He also gave himself three salary increases in one year.