NPA dismisses Nxasana golden handshake claims

The Mail and Guardian said Zuma had offered him R5 million to leave but he was asking for more.

NPA spokesperson Mxolisi Nxasana. Picture: EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says claims that the National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Mxolisi Nxasana has demanded R7,5 million to leave his post are simply not true.

The Mail and Guardian newspaper on Friday morning said President Jacob Zuma had offered him R5 million to leave but he was asking for more.

Four months ago, Zuma said he was going to institute an inquiry into whether Nxasana was fit to hold the office after it emerged he had been acquitted of murder.

The NPA's Nati Nube says the report is wrong.

"It is indeed not true that there has been any offer that has been made to the NDPP by the presidency."

The presidency's Mac Maharaj says he is not aware of any offer made by the president.

"Zuma has been in discussions with the NDPP to try and arrive at a solution."

Zuma has been strongly criticised for announcing an inquiry into Nxasana four months ago but then failing to explain why he had set it up.