Johannesburg hit by massive sandstorm
The dust cloud hit Bloemfontein this afternoon and moved into areas like Randpark Ridge and Soweto.
JOHANNESBURG - A massive sandstorm has descended on Johannesburg this evening.
The dust cloud hit Bloemfontein this afternoon and moved into areas like Randpark Ridge and Soweto a short while ago.
Motorists are being advised to drive carefully as the storm is impairing visibility on the roads in some parts of Gauteng.
This man says the visibility has not been affected too badly.
"The wind is gailing, I think the wind is more of a problem than the dust storm because the trees are taking quite a hammering. It's a horrible brown light across town. Visibility is OK at the moment, it looks like a hazy evening."
This man says it's worse in the suburbs.
"It's not that bad in town but once you get into the suburbs the danger is pedestrians. It's not so much the cars in front of you but pedestrians on the side of the road."
Twitter is also abuzz with pictures of the storm…
- Netcare911 (@Netcare911_sa) October 16, 2014
- The Fatal Moves Team (@FatalMoves) October 16, 2014
- Carmen Kean (@keancarmi) October 16, 2014
- Lilian Sauer (@liliansauer) October 16, 2014
And here's some silly reaction of not-so-real pictures...
- ¿ jay ? (@jaymeisterrr) October 16, 2014
- Dewald Lucé (@Deef_HachiRoku) October 16, 2014
- Stephanie Be (@StephanieBe) October 16, 2014
- Olly (@OllypopZA) October 16, 2014
- Juvan Redelinghuys (@straatnaambord) October 16, 2014