Zimbabwe's Ebola scare over for now
The student under Ebola-watch is expected to be discharged after doctors said she had malaria.
HARARE - Zimbabwe's Ebola scare appears to be over for now.
State media is reporting that doctors will soon discharge a patient from hospital who showed Ebola-like symptoms last week.
The Zimbabwean government has urged locals not to panic after the woman was placed in isolation at a Harare hospital designated as an Ebola treatment centre.
It's understood that Wilkins Infectious Diseases Hospital will remain closed for a few days, though staff are no longer wearing protective clothing.
A director in the Ministry of Health, Portia Manangazira told state media in Zimbabwe that the patient was responding well to Malaria treatment.
The female student had recently visited Lubumbashi and she was one of the 700 or so people inside Zimbabwe being monitored for Ebola when she developed symptoms.
Manangazira told the Sunday Mail that doctors are thinking of discharging her.
It's now known that a crew from the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) was allowed to tour the hospital on Friday.
All travellers to Zimbabwe from Ebola-hit countries are put under surveillance for 21 days.
The haemorrhagic fever has claimed the lives of more than 4,000 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.