Nyanga shack fire victims salvage what they can
Some residents are rummaging through the rubble of what was once their home.
CAPE TOWN - Some Nyanga residents are helping City of Cape Town workers to clear the area where their houses were destroyed by a fire last night.
More than 100 residents in the Lusaka informal settlement have been displaced as a result of the blaze but no one was injured.
Residents are rummaging through the rubble of what was once their homes.
Others are helping municipal workers clear the area so that they can rebuild their structures, while a large pile of debris stands piled up in a street.
The affected community members are giving their details to councillors who are doing what they can to help.
Residents say they're heartbroken, with many left with nothing but the clothes on their backs.
Meanwhile, in Gauteng scores of people have been left destitute after a fire swept through the Kya Sands informal settlement.
It's not yet clear what started the fire but residents say it may have been a paraffin stove.
More than 500 shacks were destroyed in the blaze.
Affected families were accommodated overnight at temporary shelters at churches and a hall in the area.
(Edited by Gadeeja Abbas)