Cause of wall collapse at JHB church unclear
The wall at the Alleluia Ministries church in Lyndhurst formed part of renovations to an existing building.
- TB Joshua Church collapse
- Nigeria collapse
- Lagos building collapse
- Nigeria collapse families refused entry to State mortuary
- TB Joshua followers call building collapse Satans work
- Nigeria collapse Another SA survivors to return home
- Nigeria collapse More survivors return to SA
- 67 killed in Lagos building collapse
- Nigeria collapse survivors share their traumatic experience
- Lagos collapse SA survivors return home
- 44 killed in Lagos building collapse
- Alleluia Ministries International
- Alleluia Ministries International church
- Alleluia Ministries wall collapse
JOHANNESBURG - Johannesburg Emergency Services has confirmed a wall has collapsed at the Alleluia Ministries International church in Lyndhurst this morning.
There have been some concerns about construction happening at the church and now the wall, which formed part of renovations to an existing building, has come down.
Emergency Management Services spokesperson Nana Radebe says the wall was about 10 metres long.
"We found that there was an extension, a wall just next to the church that had collapsed. No one was injured and they didn't report anyone missing."
But Melvin Moodley, who lives adjacent to the church, says it is far more serious.
"When we went there this morning, I saw about three or four guys trying to cover it up but you're standing on the road you can clearly see the scaffolding and the floor has fallen down."
Police are on their way to the scene.
Government and authorities in Nigeria are in the process of identifying the deceased before they're repatriated to South Africa.
Joshua maintains a plane flying close to the building before the collapse caused the tragedy.