Dewani trial hears of R15k hit fee, gay website visits

Anni’s husband Shrien Dewani is accused of hiring hit men to kill her in 2010.

Murder accused Shrien Dewani leaves the Western Cape High Court. Picture: Thomas Holder/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The plot to kill Anni Dewani and evidence showing her husband visited a gay dating website while they were together has characterised day two of the honeymoon murder trial.

Anni's husband Shrien Dewani is accused of hiring hit men to kill her while on holiday in Cape Town in November 2010.

Dewani has pleaded not guilty to five charges including murder in the Western Cape High Court.

Three other men are already serving lengthy jail terms for their role in the killing.

According to a 32 page document handed over to the court this week, Dewani logged onto Gaydar, while waiting for a connecting flight to Cape Town at OR Tambo International Airport while he was with Anni.

He was also active on the gay dating website a few days after his wife was murdered.

These details are contained in a list of Dewani's admissions to the court.

Dewani has acknowledged he registered as a member on Gaydar using the profile name AsianSubGuy.

However, he deactivated the account on 21 November 2010, a little over a week later.

The following day Dewani was questioned by members of his wife's family about what happened on the night she had been killed.

Part of that conversation was recorded by Anni's cousin and forms part of evidence in the case against him.

One of the men jailed for his role in the killing, an out of work tour guide, Mziwamadoda Qwabe took to the witness stand today to testify against Dewani.

He says he and his two accomplices were going to be paid R15,000 to kill a woman, whose husband wanted her dead.

Dewani played close attention and listened intently to the testimony.

Dressed in a black suit, tie and crisp white shirt the British businessman sat calmly in the dock throughout today's proceedings.

At times he could be seen reading through documents which he brought along to court.

He could also be seen briefly making notes and shaking his head.

It's unclear if this suggests he disagrees with witness Qwabe's testimony.

His family, sitting a few steps away from him, watched on as proceedings continued.

On the other side of courtroom two, some of members of the Hindocha family sat leaning forward listening closely to Qwabe's testimony.

His cross examination will continue tomorrow.

On Monday, the prosecution called pathologist Janette Verster to the stand.

She said Dewani died from a bullet wound to her neck.

The doctor said had the British bride survived the shooting, she would have most likely been paralysed.

Disturbing crime scene footage was also shown in court during day one of the trial.

It showed the abandoned taxi in which Anni's body was found and her lying dead on the back seat.

Click here for Dewani's full plea explanation.

Click here for the Dewani trial live blog.