Dewani makes dramatic revelations at start of trial

The murder accused revealed his bisexuality, his honeymoon surprise and the hours leading up to Anni's death.

Shrien Dewani in the Western Cape High Court during his murder trial on 6 October 2014. Picture: Aletta Gardner/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - Shrien Dewani has used a lengthy plea explanation to reveal his bisexuality, the honeymoon surprise he had planned for his wife and the hours leading up to her killing.

Anni's body was found in an abandoned car in Khayelitsha following an apparent staged hijacking.

During the explosive first day of the honeymoon murder trial in the Western Cape High Court, Dewani was asked to plead to the five charges, including one of murder, band pleaded not guilty.

He is accused of orchestrating a hit on his wife Anni during their holiday in Cape Town in 2010.


It was a dramatic, sometimes emotional day, in court.

In his plea explanation, Shrien said he considered himself bisexual, and admitted to having sexual liaisons with a male prostitute.

His lawyer Francois van Zyl then read out a prepared statement on his client's behalf.

He said his sexual interactions with men were mostly physical encounters or email chats, including interactions with a male prostitute.

He said he met Anni in May 2009, when a friend gave him her number and there was a mutual chemistry.

However, their relationship had its ups and downs and Anni ended their relationship in early 2010.

But by April, they were again discussing a future together and he proposed on a romantic trip to Paris in June that year.

He shared intimate details about his relationship with Anni, their sometimes rocky courtship and their whirlwind wedding.

Shrien also explained his interactions with taxi driver Zola Tongo, one of the convicted killers.

Dewani says he asked Tongo to organise a surprise helicopter tour for his wife in Cape Town.

Tongo claims Dewani wanted his wife dead.


The court heard Anni had died from a gunshot wound to her neck.

Pathologist Janette Verster told the court about the injuries Anni sustained prior to her death.

Verster described how Anni bled to death from the gunshot wound.

The court also heard there were bruises on her leg which suggest she was grabbed.

Shrien's lawyer then cross-examined the pathologist and used a picture of Anni's hand wound to illustrate the entrance of the bullet.

Verster testified that there were no signs Anni was raped before her death.


In a police statement Shrien outlined the last days he spent with Anni before her murder.

He said that they were enjoying a meal at a restaurant in Strand when he received a text from Tongo.

He thought it was about a helicopter trip Tongo was arranging for them.

In an SMS sent to him, Shrien states that he had "sorted it out," referring to the helicopter tour.

Once they were in Gugulethu, Shrien says a man with a gun confronted them.

He claims he pleaded with the apparent hijacker to let them go and they were forced out of the vehicle.

Meanwhile, the National Prosecuting Authority says it's happy with developments on day one of the honeymoon murder trial.

The matter will resume on Wednesday.

Click here for Shrien's full plea explanation.

Click here for the Dewani trial live blog.