Dewani: I'm bisexual but not guilty of murder

Shrien Dewani has pleaded not guilty to all five charges against him including murder and kidnapping.

British businessman Shrien Dewani sits during proceedings in the Western Cape High Court during his murder trial on 6 October 2014. Picture: Aletta Gardner/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - British businessman Shrien Dewani has admitted to being bisexual but maintains he is innocent and had nothing to do with his wife's murder.

His murder trial is currently underway in the Western Cape High Court this morning.

Dewani is charged with orchestrating the murder of his wife Anni in Cape Town in 2010.

Her body was found in an abandoned car in Khayelitsha following an apparent staged hijacking.

Dewani was implicated in his wife's death by three co-accused who agreed to testify for the state in exchange for lesser sentences.

He has pleaded not guilty to all five charges against him including kidnapping, robbery with aggravated circumstances and murder.

When asked to plead, Dewani told the court in a clear voice that he was not guilty of the five charges against him.

His lawyer Francois van Zyl then read out a prepared statement on his client's behalf.

In it, Dewani admits to being bisexual.

He said his sexual interactions with men were mostly physical encounters or email chats, including interactions with a male prostitute.

He said he met Anni in may 2009 when a friend gave him her number and there was a mutual chemistry.

But their relationship had its ups and downs and Anni ended their relationship in early 2010.

But by April, they were again discussing a future together and he proposed on a romantic trip to Paris in June that year.

Dewani became tearful at one point, as his lawyer continued to reveal details about their courtship, their wedding and the tragic honeymoon.

He stared straight ahead throughout proceedings and at times there were tears in his eyes while the Hindocha family stared at the British businessman as he stood in the dock.

The so-called honeymoon murder trial has attracted both local and international media attention.

Several members of Anni's family have travelled to the Western Cape to attend the trial.

Speaking during a press conference on Sunday night, the British bride's tearful uncle and father said they'd been waiting four years to hear the truth about what happened to her

Dewani was extradited from Britain in April after losing a three-year battle to avoid trial in South Africa.

His mental health has been a topic of concern over the last few years but in August he was deemed fit to stand trial by a panel of experts who had been observing him at the Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospital in Pinelands.

He was initially said to be suffering from post-traumatic stress and depression.

Dewani's relatives are also in court today.

For the latest on the trial go to EWN's Dewani Trial live blog.