Winterveldt deaths: Lesufi promises thorough probe

Sibongile Mahleya (8) and sisters Precious Msiza (8) and Mbali Mahlangu (6) were laid to rest yesterday.

Sibongile Mahleya (8) and sisters Precious Msiza (8) and Mbali Mahlangu (6) were laid to rest on 2 October. Picture: Mia Lindeque/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi says he will make sure the recommendations by the team investigating the alleged poisoning of three pupils at a primary school in Winterveldt are implemented, even if it means heads must roll.

Sibongile Mahleya (8) and sisters Precious Msiza (8) and Mbali Mahlangu (6) were laid to rest on Thursday.

It's alleged the pupils died after consuming food provided by the Ema Primary School feeding scheme last week but preliminary investigations have not confirmed the claim.

Lesufi said the Gauteng Basic Education Department will make sure a tragedy of this nature never happens again.

"If that report can indicate to me the recommendations that it wants me to implement, I will implement them without any hesitation, regardless of who the report points fingers to."

During yesterday's funeral, one pupil told mourners that although she really misses her friends, she knows they are in a better place.

"Even though we cannot see you, we know you are up there looking over us. All we can do is pray. In our hearts, you shall forever remain."

The families are now waiting for the post-mortem reports to clarify how the girls died in the hope of finding closure.