Winterveldt: Schools are supposed to be places of safety

The 3 Winterveldt schoolgirls who died last week from apparent food poisoning are being laid to rest.

Precious Msiza, Mbali Mahlangu and their friend Sibongile Mahleya fell ill at the Ema Primary School in Winterveldt, north of Pretoria last week. Picture: Mia Lindeque/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - As three Winterveldt schoolgirls are laid to rest this morning after dying from apparent food poisoning, Tshwane Mayor Kgosientso Ramokgopa says schools are supposed to be places of safety for pupils.

Precious Msiza, Mbali Mahlangu and their friend Sibongile Mahleya fell ill at the Ema Primary School in Winterveldt, north of Pretoria last week after eating food on the school premises.

They died a short while later at a local clinic.

It was initially thought the pupils ate food provided by the Basic Education Department's feeding scheme but preliminary investigations have shown that was not the case.

Three little white coffins with bouquets of colourful flowers are displayed in front of the community hall in Winterveldt.

Letters from friends and parents in the community are also displayed where the Ema Primary School choir is performing in honour of their classmates.

Ramokgopa says it's a sad day, not only for the family but for the entire community.

Meanwhile, the families say they still don't have any answers about how the girls died.