Liverpool win in longest-ever League Cup penalty shootout

Liverpool beat Middlesbrough 14-13 in an epic and nerve-shredding penalty shootout to reach the fourth.

Liverpool players jump for joy after beating Middlesbrough 14-13 in the longest-ever penalty shootout in the League Cup on 23 September 2014. Picture: Official Liverpool Facebook page.

LONDON - Liverpool reached the fourth round of the League Cup on Tuesday after winning an epic and nerve-shredding penalty shootout 14-13 at home to second-tier Middlesbrough, with the teams ending extra time tied at 2-2.

Middlesbrough's Albert Adomah brought the gripping penalty contest to an end when he fired wide after both teams had kept their nerve in sudden death, shattering the record for the longest shootout in the League Cup.

Liverpool, who have looked a shadow of the team that finished second in the Premier League last season in the new campaign, twice took the lead against their lower league opponents, but defensive errors were once again their undoing.

Raheem Sterling and Patrick Bamford were the only players to miss in the shootout, which comfortably surpassed the previous highest score record of 9-8, until Adomah fired off target.

"It was very important to get a result and the players are very happy in the changing room. We're in the hat and that's all we want," said a relieved Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers.

Elsewhere, Nathaniel Clyne scored with a stunning 30-metre strike as Southampton won 2-1 at Arsenal and Swansea City, who have begun the league season in confident fashion, beat Everton 3-0 with goals from Nathan Dyer, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Marvin Emnes.

In another all Premier League tie, Stoke City came back from a goal down to win 2-1 at Sunderland thanks to a double from Spaniard Marc Muniesa.

Third tier MK Dons, who thrashed Manchester United in the last round, won 2-0 at home to Bradford City, fourth tier Shrewsbury Town won 1-0 at home to Norwich City two divisions above them and Fulham beat Doncaster Rovers 2-1.

Second tier Bournemouth won 3-0 at Cardiff City, who were relegated from the Premier League last season, Derby County beat Reading 2-0 and Sheffield United edged past Leyton Orient 1-0.