TribeOne: City working to recoup R25m from organisers
Kgosientso Ramokgopa has suggested there may be other reasons for Sony pulling out such as slow ticket sales.
PRETORIA - Tshwane Mayor Kgosientso Ramokgopa says the city is in arbitration to recoup R25 million paid to TribeOne Dinokeng Festival organiser Sony Music Entertainment Africa.
The three-day festival, which would have seen performances by 130 local and international artists, including Nicki Minaj and J. Cole, was cancelled last week after Sony pulled out.
Sony said the site for the event, which was supposed to take place in Cullinan outside Pretoria this weekend, was not ready.
Ramokgopa says R40 million was spent on developing the site and the nearby informal settlement.
US rapper Nicki Minaj was also reportedly paid R10 million in a non-refundable deposit.
Ramokgopa has denied that the city failed to build the necessary infrastructure for the music festival.
He has suggested there may be other reasons for Sony pulling out such as slow ticket sales.
Organisers had estimated that 100,000 people would attend the event, but according to the mayor, only 3,000 tickets were sold by 3 September.
Ramokgopa has assured tax payers that no money has been lost due to the cancellation of the festival.
"The city invested R40 million on the border of the site where we were supposed to have the concert. We have moved 2,000 families and provided bulk infrastructure."
Ramokgopa also said the apparent R10 million paid to Minaj is refundable.
At the same time, court proceedings on the cancelled TribeOne Dinokeng Festival have been postponed until Thursday to give the City of Tshwane time to file a response to papers filed by the organisers.
Video: TribeOne concert cancelled.