F1 revises radio ban after team talks
The FIA has met with the 11 team managers and opted to delay the bulk of changes until 2015.
SINGAPORE - Formula One's governing body has postponed the bulk of a ban on radio and pit board messages until next season after deciding this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix was too early for teams to adapt to the new restrictions.
Last week teams were told that any talk over the radio or via a pit board about the performance of the car or driver would be considered a contravention of Article 20.1 of the sporting regulations and result in punishment.
However, hours before first practice at the floodlit Marina Bay Street Circuit on Friday evening, the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) announced it had revised the plans.
"Messages concerning a driver's own performance will not be allowed, but the expected ban on those relating to car performance will now be postponed until 2015 to give teams more time to prepare," the body said.
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone told reporters on Thursday he had been behind the original decision and wanted less talk on the radio during races. He also suggested more restrictions should be introduced in future.
"They drive the cars, they should know what is wrong or right," he said. "They don't need someone on the pit wall telling them what to do."
The FIA said they had met with the 11 team managers and opted to delay the bulk of changes until 2015 "due to the complexity of introducing such a ban at short notice and the potential for significantly differing effects between teams."