Meyersdal collapse: Report to be finalised next month

The engineers involved and the construction company are meeting in Pretoria to discuss an inquiry.

FILE: Seven people were killed when a building caved in at the Meyersdal Eco Estate on 18 August,2014. Picture: Sebabatso Mosamo/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The Department of Labour says all reports into the deadly collapse of a house at the Meyersdal Eco Estate in Alberton will be finalised by the end of next month.

Seven people were killed when the structure caved in last week.

All stakeholders, including the owner of the double storey house, the engineers involved and the construction company are meeting in Pretoria to discuss a commission of inquiry which is being set up to investigate the collapse.

The department says it's wrapped up its investigation into the collapse and officials have promised to hand over the site to other parties by early next week, so they can conduct their own probes.

Commission chair Phumudzo Maphaha says, "Let's agree that on 30 September this will be submitted. We'll just make one package then on the following Monday, we will email."

All stakeholders have agreed to have their reports ready and handed in by the end of September so the inquiry can begin.

Shortly after the deadly collapse, the Ekurhuleni City Planning Department found that a part of the house was being renovated illegally.