'Generations' actors to be reinstated
Minister Nathi Mthethwa, senior SABC officials and the actors met Monday.
JOHANNESBURG - The Arts and Culture Ministry says it's been able to convince the South African Broadcasting Corpration (SABC) to reconsider firing actors of the popular soapie Generations and reinstate them.
A meeting between minister Nathi Mthethwa, senior SABC officials and the actors took place on Monday.
The ministry says they will meet again today to discuss the terms the actors must agree to in order to get their jobs back.
Sixteen senior cast members were fired last week after they went on strike, demanding better salaries, royalties and three year contracts.
The Arts and Culture Ministry's Sandile Memela says, "The meeting ultimately ended up with SABC committing to meeting with the actors for them to specifically look at reinstating at their earliest convenience depending on the terms that they will agree on."
The artists were sacked last week Monday after ignoring an ultimatum to report for duty.
The soapie's producers on Friday revealed the group had made what they called "excessive demands", including personal trainers and dieticians.
This was on top of their R30,000 per week wage demand.
The list of Generations actors includes:
Sophie Ndaba (Queen)
Menzi Ngubane (Sibusiso)
Seputla Sebogodi (Kenneth)
Katlego Danke (Dineo)
Thami Mnqolo (Senzo)
Zolisa Xaluva (Jason)
Winnie Ntshaba (Khetiwe)
Slindile Nodangala (Ruby)
Zenande Mfenyana (Noluntu)
Thato Molamu (Nicholas)
Anga Makubalo (MJ)
Mandla Gaduka (Choppa)
Patrick Shai (Patrick)
Atandwa Kani (Samora)
Nambitha Mpulwana (Mawande)
Zikhona Sodlaka (Priska)