I feel betrayed, says Generations creator
Producers say the soapie will take on a different form and promise all will be revealed soon.
JOHANNESBURG - The producers of Generations say the soapie will continue despite 16 actors being released from their contracts earlier this week following a wage dispute.
Producers say the country's biggest soapie will take on a different form and all will be revealed in due course.
This is despite intervention by government, the ANC Youth League and the possibility of legal action.
The actors were fired by the soapie's production management team on Monday after going on strike over unresolved payment issues in their contracts.
The actors were demanding better salaries and a three-year contract.
Executive producer Mfundi Vundla says he feels betrayed by the actors, some of whom he says he's developed personal relationships with.
Speaking at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC)'s Johannesburg headquarters in Auckland Park, Vundla said he felt betrayed after being accused of exploitation.
Vundla denied reports that actors are earning small salaries, revealing that on average, they get paid R55,000 per month.
The fired actors will hold their own press conference on Monday.
Find out what Generations fans think about the debacle: