SABC mum on axed 'Generations' cast
Cosatu has joined the ANCYL in calling for cast members to be reinstated.
JOHANNESBURG - Lawyers representing the Generations actors who were dismissed earlier this week say they have still not received a response to a request to meet with the management of the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).
Sixteen actors were fired by the soapie's production management team on Monday after going on strike over unresolved payment issues in their contracts.
The actors were demanding better salaries and a three year contract.
The trade union federation says an acceptable wage agreement needs to be reached so that the actors can return to work.
Desmond Brown, the lawyer representing the cast members, says they are ready to go to court but have been urged to meet with the government before taking steps.
"We'll meet with the minister of arts and culture and the Department of Labour to see if they can resolve the situation."
However, no date has been set for a meeting with government.