New Gaza fighting erupts
Israel said Palestinian militants fired rockets from Gaza on Tuesday in violation of a truce.
GAZA/JERUSALEM - Israel said Palestinian militants fired rockets from Gaza on Tuesday in violation of a truce, attacks that swiftly drew air strikes and the recall of Israeli negotiators from talks in Cairo on a long-term ceasefire.
Three rockets struck southern Israel, near the city of Beersheba, the military said, nearly eight hours before a ceasefire - extended by a day on Monday - was due to expire. Two other rockets were intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile system over the southern town of Netivot.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, which the military said caused no casualties or damage. Sami Abu Zuhri, a spokesperson for Hamas, the dominant movement in the Gaza Strip, said it had no knowledge of any rockets being fired.
"This rocket attack was a grave and direct violation of the ceasefire," Mark Regev, a spokesman for Netanyahu, said after Beersheba was targeted. A military spokesman said that in response to the salvoes, "terror targets across the Gaza Strip" were attacked.
Witnesses said Israeli aircraft carried out at least 25 strikes, and hospital officials reported that five Palestinians, two of them children, were wounded. The attacks spurred a new exodus of dozens of Palestinian families who had fled previous fighting and returned home only days ago.
On Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's order, Israeli delegates to the indirect talks with the Palestinians, on ending the Gaza war and charting the territory's future, flew home.
Israel has said repeatedly that it would not negotiate under fire, and Egyptian mediators have been struggling to end the five-week-old Gaza conflict and seal a deal that would open the way for reconstruction aid to flow to the territory of 1.8 million, where thousands of homes have been destroyed.
The Palestinians want Egypt and Israel to lift their blockades of the economically-crippled Gaza Strip that predated the Israeli offensive launched on 8 July after a surge in cross-border rocket fire by Hamas.
The Palestinian Health Ministry put the Gaza death toll at 2,016 and said most were civilians in the small, densely populated coastal territory. Israel has said it killed hundreds of Gaza gunmen in the fighting. Sixty-four Israeli soldiers and three civilians in Israel have been killed. Before the latest flareup, Azzam al-Ahmad, senior leader of President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah movement, said there had been "no progress on any point" in the negotiations, in which Israel has said ensuring its security was its paramount concern.
Earlier, in Cairo the chief Palestinian delegate to the indirect negotiations with Israel cautioned that violence could erupt anew if the talks failed.
Israel, like Egypt, views Hamas as a security threat and wants guarantees any removal of border restrictions will not result in militant groups obtaining weapons.
"We hope that every minute of the coming 24 hours will be used to reach an agreement, and if not (successful), the circle of violence will continue," Ahmad said before hostilities resumed.