Health Minister: SA Ebola free
Aaron Motsoaledi says a person suspected of having the virus has tested negative.
JOHANNESBURG - Minister of Health Aaron Motsoaledi says a person in South Africa suspected of having the Ebola virus has tested negative.
The minister made the announcement at the Edenvale Hospital on Thursday afternoon.
The Democratic Alliance released a statement this afternoon, saying there was a suspected case of the haemorrhagic fever on home soil.
But the minister said this is not true.
"The results are negative. I am sure Mr Jack Bloom is very disappointed, because what I am gathering from him is he really wants us to have Ebola."
Motsoaledi confirmed a woman visited South Africa last month and was scanned.
Although she had no contact with people infected with Ebola, she was placed in isolation out of vigilance.
The minister said the DA then ran to the media while the tests conducted on the patient were still outstanding.
He said it had been agreed that no political party would play "political games" using Ebola.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Wednesday reported 128 new Ebola cases and 56 deaths in West Africa in the two days to August 11, raising the death toll from the worst ever outbreak of the disease to 1,069.
Since the outbreak was identified in March, there have been a total of 1,975 confirmed, probable and suspected Ebola cases in Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria.
The WHO says while it's critical to seal off the so called "hot zone" of Ebola transmission in West Africa, doing so is making it difficult to bring in staff and supplies.
WHO director general Margaret Chan earlier told a United Nations meeting there are about one million people in the "hot zone".
Chan warned that every city with an international airport is at risk of an imported case of Ebola
Nigeria has confirmed an 11th case of the virus.