Ebola: Guinea-Bissau closes border with Guinea
Ebola has killed more than 1,000 people in West Africa in the world's worst outbreak of the deadly virus.
JOHANNESBURG - Guinea-Bissau has decided to close its frontier with eastern neighbour Guinea in a bid to prevent the entry of the deadly Ebola virus, Prime Minister Domingos Simoes Pereira said on Wednesday.
The disease has killed more than 1,000 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone in the world's worst outbreak of Ebola, and the World Health Organisation (WHO) has called it an international emergency.
Three people have also died in Nigeria.
"Guinea-Bissau has decided to close its border with Guinea-Conakry from 12 August given the threat of the Ebola virus," Pereira told a news conference late on Tuesday.
The order will likely mean the closure of official road border points but it will be difficult to police the long and porous frontier in rural areas away from formal highways.
Governments have taken a range of measures to prevent the spread of Ebola across international borders.
The Ivory Coast on Monday banned air travellers from the three worst-hit countries, while Ghana on Tuesday postponed the start of the academic year for at least two weeks at universities and colleges to allow screening measures to be put in place.
NIGERIAN NURSE SKIPS EBOLA QUARANTINE
Meanwhile in Abuja, a nurse who had close contact with a Liberian Ebola patient skipped quarantine in Lagos and went to her home in the eastern city of Enugu, where she made contact with 20 other people, the government said on Wednesday.
Information Minister Labaran Maku said the nurse, herself a suspected case, and her 20 contacts were all under surveillance in Enugu, bringing the total number being watched in Nigeria to 189.
Her action highlights the risk of an outbreak in Lagos, a southwestern megacity of 21 million people, the majority of whose inhabitants are migrants from other parts of the country and other West African countries.
"One of the nurses that was involved with the treatment of the index case, unfortunately, disobeyed medical instructions and somehow travelled to Enugu," Maku told reporters after a weekly Cabinet meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan.
"We are calling on citizens to cooperate. If health workers say you have had contact with A,B,C, don't move to anywhere, respect that judgement."
Meanwhile, a member of staff of the West African regional body Ecowas became the third person in Nigeria to die of Ebola fever, Ecowas said on Wednesday.
Jatto Asihu Abdulqudir (36) a protocol assistant, had travelled to an Ecowas function in Nigeria with Liberian Patrick Sawyer, the man who brought Ebola to Nigeria last month. Abdulqudir later fell ill and had been placed under quarantine.
The country has reported eight cases of Ebola since Sawyer arrived on 20 July.
"The Commission wishes to reassure staff of all Community institutions all over the entire region that it is taking all necessary steps to guarantee their health and safety," Ecowas said in a statement