Reiger Park: Police confirm van Wyk's identity
Police have confirmed that the partially burnt body of a child found at the weekend is Curburne van Wyk.
JOHANNESBURG - Police have now confirmed a body found on a mine dump in Reiger Park over the weekend has been positively identified as three-year-old Curburne van Wyk.
Van Wyk's father earlier confirmed that the body he viewed this afternoon is that of his son.
The three-year-old was kidnapped while playing outside his parents' home on Wednesday, allegedly by a man known in the community as 'Chicken'.
The boy's partially burned body was found at a mine dump at the weekend but DNA tests are still pending.
He was found wearing tracksuit pants that van Wyk was wearing when he was last seen on Wednesday.
Cuburne's father Elroy Peterson says he has no doubt that the child is his son.
"I've been to the morgue and I have no doubt that it's my son because I recognised his face."
Peterson says the person who killed the boy is a monster and should also be killed.
At the same time, the local community has threatened to take the law into their own hands.
"As mothers, we are going to take action because our children can't be brutally killed like that. Children are not animals," said a community member.
The authorities have however called on people to refrain from taking the law into their own hands.
The incident comes in the wake of the death of four-year-old Taegrin Morris, who was killed last month in a hijacking in Reiger Park after he was dragged behind his parents' hijacked car.
Watch: Van Wyk's parents speak out.