Burnt body of 3-year-old boy found in Reiger Park
It is not yet officially confirmed whether it is the body of Curburne Lavon van Wyk.
JOHANNESBURG - Eyewitness News has learned that the partially burnt body of a three-year-old boy has been found in a mine dump in Reiger Park this afternoon.
It is not yet officially confirmed whether it is the body of Curburne Lavon van Wyk who was last seen in the company of a man in the Ramaphosa Informal Settlement.
Authorities have been searching for the child since he went missing last week.
The police's Noxolo Kweza says, "The body of a three-year-old boy was found. We are trying to establish the identity. It was discovered at about 4pm."
The police's Kwenzakwakhe Ngobese says the man suspected of kidnapping the boy is known to the community.
Meanwhile, four year-old Taegrin Morris was killed in Reiger Park about three weeks ago when he was dragged at the side of his parent's hijacked car.
Furthermore, Bronkhorstspruit police are still searching for those responsible for kidnapping five-year-old Mongezi Phike last month during a hijacking.
The hijackers held the child captive for five days, then dumped him on the streets of Johannesburg before he was taken to a children's home.
POLICE INVESTIGATE CHILD SHOOTING
Western Cape police in Strand are still trying to establish the motive for yet another shooting involving a child.
The eight-year-old boy and fellow pupils were walking to their classroom when the incident occurred at ACJ Phakade Pre-Primary School yesterday.
He is in a stable condition in hospital.
Police say the motive behind the shooting remains unclear.
Spokesperson Thembinkosi Kinana said the boy's classmates saw him collapsing and they reported the matter to their teachers.
"The bullet is believed to have come from the direction of the New Village Informal Settlement." Kinana added.
Education spokesperson Jessica Shelver said, "Learners are supposed to feel safe in the school grounds. We do everything we can to keep them safe and being caught in the crossfire of bullets is unacceptable."
LUKE TIBBETTS' ACCUSED NOW FACES MURDER
Lindrey Khakhu had been charged with two counts of attempted murder after Tibbetts was wounded in the head, while sitting on his mother's lap traveling through Westbury last week.
The boy passed away yesterday after being on life support since Saturday.
Tibbetts' family was hopeful he would make a full recovery.
Now the family has to prepare for his funeral, his uncle, Llewellyn Valentine said, "The focus is on my family and the justice system must take its course."
On Tuesday the Sophiatown Magistrates Court's presiding officer warned Khakhu that should the three-year-old's condition change, his charge would also change to murder.
He'll be back in court on next week.