Metrorail: Destruction of cables clear sabotage

Richard Walker says the damage was carried out strategically by people who knew what they were doing.

Western Cape Metrorail regional manager Richard Walker. Picture: Lauren Isaacs/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The destruction of cables and equipment that led to Cape Town's rail system being paralysed last week was an act of sabotage, Metrorail said on Thursday.

Metrorail's regional manager Richard Walker briefed the Western Cape legislature's standing committee on transport and public works today.

He said damage to cables, track boxes and signals in the early hours of last Wednesday morning was carried out strategically by people who knew what they were doing.

He has implicated 94 people who were dismissed by one of Metrorail's private security providers as possible suspects.

Walker said police have been given information to help them track down the suspects.

He said the damage caused to the rail system was not simply about theft.

"We laid criminal charges of malicious damage to property because we view this as very serious."

Walker would not name the private security company involved.

Provincial head of detective services, Major-General David Molo, says authorities haven't made any arrests in connection with the incident.