Arms deal inquiry accepts de Lille dossier
The Cape Town mayor says she has important evidence implicating Zuma in corruption.
PRETORIA - The Seriti Commission of Inquiry on Thursday revealed it would accept a dossier from arms deal whistleblower Patricia de Lille.
The hearing is investigating claims of fraud and corruption relating to the 1999 procurement.
The Cape Town mayor started giving evidence at the inquiry in Pretoria earlier on Thursday where she asked to submit the documents.
The dossier contains more details on certain allegations.
She says the file was first given to her by concerned African National Congress members of Parliament 15 years ago.
The senior Democratic Alliance member says the information therein led to the conviction of Schabir Shaik and Tony Yengeni, and should be viewed in light of President Jacob Zuma's role in the saga.
De Lille told the commission she wanted the president to be investigated fully.
She asked why the former heads of the Scorpions and National Prosecuting Authority were never probed for interfering in the matter.
De Lille said she personally laid charges against Leonard McCarthy and Bulelani Ngcuka in 2009 for alleged undue influence leading to the withdrawal of corruption charges against Zuma.
The then-acting national director of public prosecutions Mokotedi Mpshe based his decision on the so-called spy tapes.
The tapes are alleged to be recordings of McCarthy discussing the timing of the charges being brought against Zuma.
De Lille says she wants the commission to establish whether charges against the pair were ever investigated.
By her own admission, de Lille had insufficient personal knowledge of the allegations contained in the dossier she presented.
This led Judge Willie Seriti to rule that the evidence would be accepted for consideration but de Lille would not be examined on it herself.
Seriti said she was merely the messenger and should not be questioned on evidence she could not support.