Missing boy’s family ‘living a nightmare’

The five-year-old was taken last week when he and his father were hijacked in Bronkhorstspruit.

Mongezi Phike was last seen in his father’s vehicle when it was hijacked in Bronkhorspruit. Picture: Supplied.

JOHANNESBURG - The family missing Mongezi Phike says they have no money should his captors demand a ransom.

The five-year-old was taken last week when he and his father were hijacked in Bronkhorstspruit, east of Pretoria.

Four armed men fled with Mongezi in the car after beating up his father and dumping him along Delmas road.

Mongezi was last seen wearing a red and white jersey, red tracksuit pants and white takkies.

His cousin Thandazo Makhonjwa says the family is living in a nightmare.

"It's been hard. We've been receiving calls from anonymous people telling us things expecting a reward. People are teasing us. It's sad."

His cousin Thandazo Makhonjwa says Mongezi's mother and family members have been praying nonstop.

"They are praying for their son to come back. They must bring Mongezi back. He is innocent, he's just a child, they can't punish him.

"If they were parents and if he was their son, how would they feel? So can they please bring him back."

Earlier on Sunday, President Jacob Zuma called on the public to help police find the boy.

Speaking through his spokesman Mac Maharaj the President said the child should be returned.

"We call on law enforcement authorities to spare no effort in seeking these criminals and bringing them to justice while we urge members of the community to help the police in their work so that Mongezi can be brought home safely."

"We cannot imagine the pain and sorrow that his family is going through," said President Zuma.