Numsa strike: Seifsa withdraws final offer
The industrial action, which was marred by violence and intimidation, entered its third week.
JOHANNESBURG - The Steel and Engineering Industries Federation of South Africa (Seifsa) on Tuesday said it had withdrawn its final wage offer to the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa).
South Africa's largest union rejected the conditional offer on Sunday, which included a 10 percent increase this year, 9,5 percent in 2015 and a further nine percent in 2016.
The industrial action, which was marred by violence and intimidation, entered its third week on Tuesday.
But Seifsa, which represents many of the bigger companies in the sector, says it has exhausted its mandate.
The federation added no more talks with Numsa would take place.
Employees affiliated to the 220,000-strong union are demanding a 10 percent increase for the next three years, revised down from the original 15 percent wage demand.
Seifa's Ollie Madlala said, "We also explained during our meeting with the Numsa leadership yesterday [Monday] that last week's offer failed and had since been withdrawn."
Numsa earlier said it would meet with its members on Tuesday to plan how to intensify the strike.
Video: Numsa vandalism video emerges.