Fourie releases statement on Pistorius
Paralympic athlete Arnu Fourie says he cherishes the moments spent with Oscar Pistorius.
PRETORIA - Paralympian Arnu Fourie, who was yesterday referred to in murder accused Oscar Pistorius's trial has released a statement overnight, saying he cherished the moments he spent together with the athlete at the 2012 London Olympics.
The 27-year-old has been on trial since March for allegedly murdering his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his upmarket Pretoria East home on Valentine's Day last year.
The 'Blade Runner' says he shot the model by accident, while the state maintains it was a case of premeditated murder.
Pistorius's manager Peet van Zyl is expected to be cross-examined further in the North Gauteng High Court this morning.
The trial was adjourned yesterday after state prosecutor Gerrie Nel told Judge Thokozile Masipa he needed time to prepare questions related to the character of the accused.
Van Zyl testified about the athlete's love of Steenkamp and his heightened fear of crime.
Nel referred van Zyl to an article written in the Telegraph by Talk Radio 702's David O'Sullivan during the 2012 London Olympics.
Fourie had shared a room with Pistorius during the games and told O'Sullivan that he was forced to move out because Pistorius was constantly screaming in anger at people on the phone.
Van Zyl initially said he didn't know why Fourie asked to move out the room, before conceding he was made aware of the issue.
"It's difficult for you to say negative things about Pistorius," Nel added.
In a short statement on Twitter, Fourie said that he was asked by their doctor at the games to change rooms and use the isolation room two nights before a big race.
- Arnu Fourie (@arnufourie) July 1, 2014
He said he wanted to rest and recover on his own in preparation for the race.
This is in contrast to statements made to O'Sullivan which was published in the article.