‘Macassar locals to get housing first’

Mayor Patricia de Lille last week apologised to the community for confusion caused.

FILE: Housing officials will be sent to the area following last week's violent housing protests. Picture: Mia Spies/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - Macassar residents who have been on the housing waiting list the longest will be accommodated first, Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille said on Monday.

Officials will also be sent to the Cape Town township following last week's violent housing protest in the area.

De Lille apologised at a community meeting last week after city officials misinformed Nomzamo evictees.

They were told they could move onto a piece of land in Macassar, which was earmarked for a housing project.

Resident Zameel van Wyk says the 2,500 houses de Lille promised could make a big difference to the area.

"She must give us security and proof that the housing will involve the people of Strand as well."