ANC: Farm proposal not ANC policy
Minister Gugile Nkwinti proposed farmworkers be given half of the land they work on.
JOHANNESBURG - The African National Congress (ANC) on Monday confirmed it had not yet taken any policy decision on proposals made by Land Reform Minister Gugile Nkwinti.
Under the proposed plan, commercial farmers will have to give workers a 50 percent stake at farms.
Government will then place the farmers' compensation money in a trust to help the workers.
It has since emerged the policies have not been approved by the ruling party.
The ANC's Zizi Kodwa said, "There is no such policy in the ANC, but we'd be happy to discuss it. It must go through ANC processes of how policies are formulated."
While Nkwinti set a deadline of April 2015 for farmers, workers, unions and other role players to respond, the plan irked many in the agriculture sector.
AgriSA last week said the farming proposal was flawed and ambiguous.
The institute's Ruth Hall believes the move is unconstitutional as farm owners will not directly receive compensation.
Democratic Alliance (DA) leader Helen Zille also slammed the proposal, saying the government abandoned the National Development Plan (NDP).
She called on government to first implement the land reform suggestions made in the NDP.