Five initiation schools shut down
The random searches are aimed at reducing fatalities in initiation schools in Mpumalanga.
MPUMALANGA - At least 20 Mpumalanga initiation school applications were withdrawn after they did not meet required standards, the National House of Traditional Leaders (NHTL) said on Monday.
The NHTL also closed down five schools following a raid at the weekend.
The random searches are aimed at reducing fatalities in initiation schools in the province.
A task team was set up by the Department of Health in collaboration with the Department of Traditional Affairs and the NHTL.
Only schools approved by the task team are legal.
Task team chairperson Nkosi Mahlangu says all people attending initiation schools must consult a doctor before enrolling.
"They must have a medical certificate declaring they are fit to undergo initiation and also to identify any other illness."
Around 29 initiates died in the province during last year's initiation season.