Shack fire leaves over 300 homeless
Over 300 people from Marlboro industrial are destitute after a fire swept through the area.
JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng's Department of Human Settlements said it's highly concerned about the ongoing fires taking place during the winter season.
More than 300 people from Marlboro industrial area near Alexandra are trying to rebuild their lives this morning after a fire swept through nearly 70 shacks yesterday.
It appears the blaze started after a stove was left unattended.
As residents deal with the effects of the devastating fire, government appealed to community members to be more cautious when using electrical appliances.
Some residents spent yesterday afternoon collecting scrap metal and what remained of their shacks, hoping to rebuild their homes and provide some kind of shelter for their families to escape the cold weather.
A man who lost everything in the blaze accused government of forgetting about the disadvantaged in the country.
"It's not easy for them to install electricity house by house and it's not easy for us because 63 of us have been staying in this yard for 14 years with no electricity."
Many residents have lived in the area for many years and say they have nowhere else to go.