CT teen blows himself up

Davids had apparently seen a similar experiment being conducted at school and wanted to try it out.

Davids had apparently seen a similar experiment being conducted at school and wanted to try it out.

CAPE TOWN - The Western Cape Education Department on Friday sent its condolences to the family of a teenager who blew himself up while conducting a science experiment.

Fourteen-year old Chauncey Davids died after an experiment involving a plastic deodorant container and a lighter.

It is believed the teenager poured gas or alcohol into a bottle and lit it, causing an explosion at his Mitchell's Plain home on Thursday.

Davids had apparently seen a similar experiment being conducted at school and wanted to try it out.

The department's Bronagh Casey says, "We have arranged to send councillors to the school to debrief the learners and staff."

Meanwhile, University of the Western Cape (UCT) professor Tim Egan says ordinary household products can be dangerous when exposed to fire.