A year since Pierre Korkie's abduction
Today marks exactly one year since the Bloemfontein teacher was abducted in Yemen.
JOHANNESBURG - Today marks exactly one year since Bloemfontein teacher Pierre Korkie was abducted in Yemen.
Korkie and his wife Yolande were kidnapped by a group affiliated to al-Qaeda last year.
Yolande was released in January to raise the more than R30 million ransom for Korkie's release.
Meanwhile, South African barefoot runner Zola Budd says she will be dedicating her Comrade's Marathon run on Sunday to Korkie.
Budd says she met with the Korkie family yesterday to offer her support.
Last week, Yolande released a second video appealing to Korkie's kidnappers to show mercy and release him.
Korkie's family quoted late former president Nelson Mandela, saying they refuse to stop fighting for his safe return.
In the video she spoke on behalf of her two children, begging the kidnappers to release their father unharmed.
"I'm reminded of Madiba's words who said a task looks impossible until it is done. We will not give up until he's released."
"Pierre must be in a very emotional state today. Not knowing anything and being moved from building to building - it must be very emotionally unsettling for him."