Stormers beat Western Force 24-8

The Stormers took on the Western Force at Newlands Stadium in Cape Town on Saturday evening.

The Stormers's Cheslin Kolbe (C) tackles the Western Force's Patrick Dellit (L) during the Super Rugby 15 match between Western Force and the Stormers at the Newlands Stadium on 17 May 2014, in Cape Town. Picture: AFP/ RODGER BOSCH

CAPE TOWN - Despite dominating both the possession and territory statistics, the Stormers struggled to penetrate a stingy Western Force defence in the first half.

Just over 16,000 people turned up to watched the game, which finally got its first points courtesy of a converted penalty goal by Peter Grant in the sixteenth minute.

The home side spent the first eight minutes of the opening half camped in the oppositions 22, stringing together 15 phases but left empty handed.

They finally crossed over for a five pointer after 20 minutes, thanks to centre Juan de Jongh, who linked up well with his teammates in the backline.

The Perth based franchise finally got on the scoreboard when South African recruit and former Cheetahs number 10 Sias Ebersohn slotted a penalty goal.

To make matters worse for the visitors, who were battling to get out of their own half and to get their hands on the ball, Force lock Adam Coleman was sent to the sin bin for an offense at the lineout in the thirty-seventh minute.

The Stormers were then awarded a penalty try just before the halftime hooter sounded, as the Force infringed at scrum time.

The Stormers took a 17-3 lead into the break.

Ruan Botha scored a third try for the Stormers, their only one of the second half, taking the scores to 24-3 following another successful conversion by Grant in the forty-seventh minute.

The second half turned out to be a bit of a dull affair compared to that of the first.

The Force managed to get more of the possession and finally play rugby in the Stormers half of the field but never threatened enough or looked like scoring.

But ill-discipline by the Stormers at the ruck cost them two players in the sin bin at once, with winger Cheslin Kolbe and fullback Jaco Taute watching the final 10 minutes.

With 15 men against 13, the Force took advantage and finally crossed the whitewash for a try.

The Stormers still ran out with a comfortable 24-8 win in the end.