Kate Middleton's phone hacked 155 times
A former NOTW employee also admitted to hacking Prince William and Prince Harry's phones.
LONDON - Kate Middleton's voicemail was hacked 155 times by Clive Goodman, a formal royal editor of Rupert Murdoch's News of the World tabloid.
Goodman admitted to a London court on Wednesday that he hacked Middleton's voicemail as well phones belonging to Prince William and Prince Harry.
Goodman, who was jailed in 2007 for illegally accessing voicemails on the mobile phones of royal aides, said he had hacked Queen Elizabeth's grandsons almost a decade ago in search of stories while working at the now-defunct tabloid.
From late 2005 until his arrest the following year, Middleton's phone was hacked 155 times despite her often changing the PIN number to access her voicemails. William's was hacked 35 and Harry's nine times, the court was told.
Goodman targeted Middleton, known as the Duchess of Cambridge since her marriage to William three years ago, on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day in 2005. The last time was on 7 August 2006, the day before his arrest.
Despite the regular royal hackings, Goodman said detectives had never before asked him about the tapping of the princes' phones and it had not been publicly disclosed before the trial.
The Old Bailey jury has previously heard how recordings of the royals' messages had been discovered, including one in which William called Kate "Babykins", but not who was responsible.
"I'm quite happy to get everything out there and in the open," Goodman told the court. "I don't want anyone to think I'm not ashamed of what we did."
Goodman and private detective Glenn Mulcaire, who worked for the paper, were jailed in January 2007, although the ex-royal editor's involvement was then said to have been limited to three aides to the princes.
At the time, Murdoch's British newspaper arm News International said phone-hacking was limited to a "rogue reporter" but police reopened their investigation when new information emerged in 2011.
The subsequent scandal rocked the British establishment and led Murdoch to close the 168-year-old News of the World. Three of the paper's former news editors have admitted phone-hacking offences.