Sadtu 'not responsible' for kidnappings
Two school principals were allegedly abducted by Sadtu members last week.
JOHANNESBURG - The South African Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) on Tuesday said it is not responsible for the recent kidnappings of two school principals in an apparent conflict over jobs.
Last week, two principals from Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal were allegedly abducted by Sadtu members who threatened to kill them if they returned to their jobs.
It's believed the kidnappings were motivated by a scheme that saw principal and deputy principal posts being sold off for up to R30,000 each.
Sadtu says it cannot investigate the allegations of intimidation and kidnapping against its members as no formal complaints have been lodged.
The two principals were abducted last week and told not to return to their jobs.
One of the victims, an acting principal from eMalahleni, says she was kidnapped and drugged on her way to an interview for the permanent principal position.
But the union maintains it isn't responsible for the individual actions of members.
Union leaders say they welcome the Department of Basic Education's decision to investigate the allegations.