Security services monitor Alex

Authorities fear more violent protests may take place following the declaration of the election results.

Cleaning under way in Alexandra where overnight protests saw resident burn ANC offices and a local clinic on 9 May 2014. Picture: Mia Lindeque/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Security services are set to continue monitoring the Alexandra township in northern Johannesburg and other hotspots, which may flare up following the announcement of the election results.

Police and members of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) were deployed to Alexandra this weekend after a protest spiralled out of control on Friday night.

The aftermath of violent protests in the Alexandra township in northern Johannesburg on 10 May 2014. Picture: Reinart Toerien/EWN.

Bags of dumped ballot papers were discovered in a park in Lynnwood Ridge in Pretoria on 8 May. Picture: iWitness.

EFF and IFP members in Alexandra are demanding a re-vote, saying protests will continue if their demands are not met.

The police's Solomon Makgale says, "We had a plan for before the election, during the election and post the election, so we're not going to reduce our deployment. We're going to have police officers out there. If there are any unlawful acts we will arrest whoever is responsible."


Tensions in Alexandra flared up on Saturday night; just hours after the official results were declared.

Police opened fire on protesters using stun grenades and rubber bullets in retaliation, after protesters hurled rocks and set fire to tyres.

Protesters also blocked-off Alfred Nzo Street.

At the same time, 59 people have been arrested for public violence and officials say at least three shops were looted during protests on Friday night.

Those arrested for public violence will be appearing in court on Monday.

Meanwhile, a total of 44 people were also detained after police and hundreds of demonstrators clashed outside a local court earlier on Friday.

Residents were there to show their support for 31 people arrested for torching a building on Thursday night.

That case was remanded until Monday.

Police used rubber bullets and stun grenades to disperse the crowd.

Residents accused police of using live ammunition.

Police denied the claims

Watch: Alex violence takes xenophobic turn