Nigeria kidnapping: More questions asked
A report accuses the Nigerian military of knowing Boko Haram was on its way to kidnap the girls.
- Boko Haram
- Boko Haram clashes
- Goodluck Jonathan
- Nigeria schoolgirls
- Nigeria abducted schoolgirls
- Nigerian schoolgirls still missing
- Goodluck Jonathans government
- Missing Nigerian school girls
- Bring back our girls
- 8 more Nigerian girls kidnapped
- Eight more Nigerian girls arrested
- Goodluck Jonathanto
JOHANNESBURG - A number of tough questions are now being asked in Nigeria after an explosive report was made public.
Boko Haram's campaign of terror is shocking the world into action, with global outrage after the kidnapping and the Nigerian government's inability to subdue their captor's mayhem.
Watch: Who is the Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau?
The country's president Goodluck Jonathan has vowed this abduction will be the group's undoing.
"I believe that the kidnapping of these girls will be the beginning of the end of terror in Nigeria."
DIVISIONS ON THE HUNT
Nigeria's army has posted two divisions to hunt for the schoolgirls abducted last month by Islamist rebels in an attack condemned globally, including by U.S. first lady Michelle Obama on Saturday.
The soldiers are stationed in the border region close to Chad, Cameroon and Niger to work with other security agencies, said General Chris Olukolade, spokesman for the Defence Headquarters.
The government of President Jonathan has faced criticism for its slow response since Boko Haram militants stormed a secondary school in the village of Chibok, near the Cameroon border, on 14 April, and kidnapped the girls, who were taking exams. Fifty have escaped, but more than 200 remain with the insurgents.
Earlier this month, Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau threatened to sell the girls "in the market".
"The facilities of the Nigerian Army signals as well as all the communication facilities of the Nigerian Police and all the services have been devoted into coordinating this search," Olukolade said in a statement.
"The major challenge remains the fact that some of the information given here turned out in many occasions to be misleading. .... Nevertheless, this will not discourage the collaborative efforts that are on-going," he said.
The air force has flown more than 250 sorties, and a multinational task force has also been activated and surveillance equipment is deployed in support of 10 search teams, he said.
British experts arrived in Nigeria on Friday to advise the government on the hunt and the United States was also sending an interdisciplinary team including military personnel.
Olukolade said later that foreign security forces involved in the search had not conducted any military operations or made any arrests.
Jonathan said on Friday he believed the schoolgirls remained in Nigeria and had not been transported into Cameroon. It was the first indication he had given of their whereabouts.
The attackers were based in the Sambisa area of Borno state, a Boko Haram stronghold near the school where the girls were abducted, he said.