Maimane accepts seat in Parliament

The DA’s Mmusi Maimane has confirmed he has accepted a seat in the National Assembly.

South Africa concluded its fifth democratic election process on Saturday. Picture: Wikimedia Commons.

JOHANNESBURG - The Democratic Alliance (DA)'s Mmusi Maimane has confirmed he has accepted a seat in the National Assembly.

The country concluded its fifth democratic election process on Saturday. The African National Congress (ANC) was handed 62.15 percent of the national vote.

Regarding the issue of caucus elections for the DA Parliamentary leader position, Maimane said the matter was totally separate.

"The fifth parliamentary caucus will then sit and declare vacancies and then open nominations. But at this stage no nominations have been opened.

"What is absolutely critical is the fact that I stand as an MP, which is the only role I have at the moment and no other decisions or further conversations have been entered into."

Meanwhile, the African National Congress ( ANC) has disputed media reports it plans to hold an indaba to discuss its performance during elections and reasons why its support dropped from what it was in 2009.

The ruling party briefed the media on the outcome of its election campaign at Luthuli House in central Johannesburg yesterday - a day after the results were officially proclaimed by the IEC.

The party's head of elections Malusi Gigaba says the ANC is not worried about the percentage of votes it has lost.

"The ANC can't win a whopping 62 percent of the vote and then start complaining about the other 38 percent that we didn't win. We would be ungrateful winners. We are not going to do that."

ANC supporters filled the Library Gardens in Johannesburg on Saturday evening to celebrate the party's win. Video: Reinhart Toerien.

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated Mmusi Maimane would take the place of Lindiwe Mazibuko. We deeply regret this error and any confusion it may have caused.