Fresh clashes erupt in Alex

Police fired stun grenades and rubber bullets at protesters in the township.

Fresh clashes erupt in the Alexandra township on 10 May 2014. Picture: Vumani Mkhize/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Police have just opened fire on Protesters in Alexandra, northern Johannesburg, with stun grenades and rubber bullets where violence has once again erupted just hours after the official results from South Africa's fifth democratic general elections were declared.

Police retaliated after protesters hurled rocks and set fire to tyres there a short while ago.

It's the second night of violent demonstrations in the township, triggered by allegations of vote rigging after the discovery of dumped ballot boxes.

Members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) and the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) claim that South Africa's fifth democratic general elections on 7 May were rigged.

This after ballot boxes were allegedly found at a centre, and hidden behind and inside shacks.

EFF and IFP members in Alexandra are demanding a re-vote, saying protests will continue if their demands are not met.

Protesters have now brazenly started to block-off Alfred Nzo Street in Alexandra, northern Johannesburg.

Huge flames and plumes of thick black smoke can be seen as police fire stun grenades and rubber bullets into the angry crowd.

One side of the street is blocked and terrified motorists are turning back at the site of the blockade.

Police nyalas have now entered the troubled 6th street, where the protesters are hiding, in an attempt to bring an end to this clash.

Last night, the army was called in to quell tensions between police and protesters in scenes that were described as a war zone.

The aftermath of violent protests in Alexandra on 10 May 2014. Picture: Reinart Toerien/EWN.

Protesters on Friday afternoon tried to set a building alight and barricaded streets with burning tyres and rubble.

Fifty nine people were arrested for public violence after protests spiralled out of control.

At the same time, officials say at least three shops were looted during last night's protests.

Those arrested for public violence will be appearing in court on Monday.

Meanwhile, a total of 44 people were also detained after police and hundreds of demonstrators clashed outside a local court earlier on Friday.

Residents were there to show their support for 31 people arrested for torching a building on Thursday night.

That case was remanded until Monday.

The torched building housed ANC councillors, an Independent Electoral Commission office and a clinic.

Police used rubber bullets and stun grenades to disperse the crowd.

Residents accused police of using live ammunition.

Police denied the claims.