Parents of Nigerian girls plead with govt
Parents of the missing girls say the government is dragging its feet in finding their children.
ABUJA - The Nigerian government is yet to react to the purported video released by the Islamic sect Boko Haram claiming responsibility for abducting over 200 girls in Borno state.
The girls were kidnapped last month from their school in Abuja. Boko Haram claimed responsibility on Monday for the abduction of more than 200 schoolgirls in northeast Nigeria last month and threatened to " sell them on the market", the French news agency AFP reported, citing a video.
Calls are growing for the Nigerian government to step up efforts to find them, with protests being held in parts of the country.
The latest protest consisted of more than 1,000 women from the local communities, where the girls were abducted. The women expressed concerns that the authorities were not doing enough.
"We don't know where they are. We are crying to the government and the people to help us."
But the Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, is reassuring the parents that the military is doing everything possible to rescue the abducted girls.
"The armed forces assure all Nigerians that it will continue to press for every piece of information to find the girls."
Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday said his government would ensure the safe return of the schoolgirls.
Jonathan said his government had sought help from other countries, including the United States, and dismissed rumours that his government was in negotiations with the terrorist group to release the girls.