Pistorius trial adjourns until Thursday

The Oscar Pistorius murder trial has adjourned until Thursday morning.

Oscar Pistorius consults with his defence lawyer Barry Roux at the High Court in Pretoria on 6 May 2014. Picture: Pool.

PRETORIA - The Oscar Pistorius murder trial has adjourned until Thursday, a day after the election day.

Before the adjournment, another neighbour and resident of Silver Woods Country Estate took the stand.

Picture: Carte Blanche.

Ricca Motshuane has lived in Bushwillow Crescent since 2008 and gave her interpretation of events on the night in question.

The athlete is accused of shooting and killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp during the early hours of 14 February 2013.

Picture: Carte Blanche.

He faces charges of premeditated murder, two separate firearm related charges and one of illegal possession of ammunition.

When his trial began, he pleaded not guilty to all charges and during his testimony claimed to have shot and killed Steenkamp after thinking she was an intrude


Motshuane said she met Pistorius only once when she moved in to the estate and he came around to welcome her family.

"In the early hours of the morning I heard a man crying, it was a cry of pain. I woke up my husband and asked whether he could hear it. He could. I started panicking. The crying was very loud and very close."

She then demonstrated to the court the crying she heard, which came across as quite loud and dramatic.

"My husband and I sat up in bed. We were scared. We heard a car pass by and stop."

She said she saw a Mini Cooper parked in front of Pistorius's house.

"We went to bed wondering what had happened. While wondering what had happened, we heard another car. I looked out the window and saw a security car."

She said her husband called security and they told him they were taking care of the situation.

"I only heard a man crying very loud. If I had heard a female screaming I would have said so."

Defence advocate Barry Roux concluded leading evidence with the witness and state prosecutor Gerrie Nel began a very brief cross-examination, getting clarity on gunshots and whether she was following the trial in the media.

With that, the trial was adjourned until Thursday morning.