Police arrest fugitive Lesotho 'cannibal'

Lehlohonolo Scott is accused of killing and eating two people between January and July 2012.

Lehlohonolo Scott allegedly confessed to killing and eating two people before escaping from prison in Lesotho. Picture: Stock.xchng.

JOHANNESBURG - A man wanted in Lesotho for murder and cannibalism was surprised when he was approached and arrested by officers, KwaZulu-Natal police said on Friday.

Lehlohonolo Scott is accused of killing and eating two people between January and July 2012.

He allegedly confessed to murdering and cooking a 13-year-old boy and a 22-year-old man.

Scott was first arrested in 2012 but later escaped from the Maseru Central Prison before fleeing to South Africa.

Police spokesperson Solomon Makgale said a special team was appointed to track and apprehend the 27-year-old suspect.

"Some time ago, we were requested by the government of Lesotho to assist them. We set up a team led by investigators from our Crime Intelligence Unit and other detectives."

According to police, Scott had appeared to be settling in after arriving in South Africa.

"He was arrested in KwaZulu-Natal in a church. He had been living on the premises and playing in the church band. He was very surprised when he was approached by the members of the SAPS who then arrested him," Makgale added.

Scott appeared in court on Thursday and applied for bail, which was declined.

His case was remanded to 15 May.

Makgale says National Police Commissioner Riah Phiyega has thanked all of those involved in Scott's arrest.

"It is important for us to work closely with our neighbours [Lesotho] in order to ensure that justice is served and that criminals are not given safe refuge in our country."