Police praised for new Krejcir charge
Zimbabwean man Phumlani Ncube’s bullet-riddled body was found in Heidelberg last July.
Krejcir, Siboniso Miya, Welcome Nkanyiso Mafunda and police sergeant Nandi Nkosi appeared in court on Tuesday morning alongside four others, who share separate charges with them.
The prosecutor told the court that the four men would face an extra charge.
The state believes the men are responsible for the murder of 37-year-old Phumlani Ncube.
The man's bullet-riddled body was found in Heidelberg last July in what appeared to have been a hit.
Ncube had been working as a debt collector and it's alleged there was a disagreement between him and Krejcir.
The man's mother, who does not want to be named for safety reasons, says the family is pleased by the development.
"They are not supposed to be alive while my son is dead," she says.
The woman has now raised concerns that Krejcir or his co-accused could try and silence her.
"I'm scared that at any time, they might come and kill me or my kids."
The latest move by the state appeared to catch Krejcir and his family by surprise.
The businessman's wife Katerina Krejcirova and their son Dennis looked equally puzzled by the development.
Krejcir has been linked to three different cases with today's new charge being the most serious.
He is also facing charges relating to a plot to kill Colonel Nkosana "Killer" Ximba from the police's Crime Intelligence Unit and private investigator Paul O'Sullivan earlier this year.
Both men were conducting investigations into Krejcir's activities.
The Czech national is also wanted in his home country and is fighting extradition attempts.
Krejcir further faces charges of attempted murder and kidnapping relating to a drug deal gone wrong.
The suspect will return to court in June after the state was granted a postponement to further investigate the new charge.