Easter road fatalities in WC decrease

Five people have been killed in the province this weekend in comparison to 14 last year.

The City of Cape Town has issued over 1,000 fines to motorists since the start of the Easter weekend. Picture: Jacob Moshokoa/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works says road fatalities during the Easter weekend have decreased in comparison to last year.

Five people have been killed in the province this weekend compared to 14 last year.

Over 35 people have been killed nationwide since the start of the Easter weekend.

Provincial Traffic Chief, Kenny Africa says authorities are also targeting drunk drivers.

"We arrested 46 drunken drivers 19 on Friday evening and 27 last night."

Meanwhile, City of Cape Town law enforcement officials say they have issued over 1,000 fines to motorists since the start of the Easter weekend.

A number of roadblocks and stop-and-search operations have been held across the city this weekend.

During one operation, more than 280 vehicles underwent roadworthy tests with around 30 cars taken off the road.

The police's Richard Bosman says authorities have also made several arrests for drug and firearm possession.

"In one incident, police stopped a Mercedes Benz with a couple of occupants inside and upon searching it, discovered three unlicensed nine-millimetre automatic firearms.

"The firearms had all been reported stolen some time ago. The suspects were then arrested and taken to the police station."