Shrien Dewani arrives at court

The honeymoon murder accused will be processed and charged in connection with his wife’s murder.

FILE: Shrien Dewani. Picture: AFP.

CAPE TOWN - Shrien Dewani has arrived at the Western Cape High Court.

The Justice Department has confirmed the honeymoon murder accused arrived in the Cape this morning.

Shrien Dewani arrives at the Western Cape High Court in the black Hyundai with tinted windows on 8 April 2014. Picture: Graeme Raubenheimer/EWN.

A black Hyundai with tinted windows carrying Shrien Dewani on his way to the Western Cape High Court on 8 April 2014. Picture: Renee de Villiers/EWN.

The department says Dewani was received by police officials at the airport.

He arrived in the company of a medical doctor, nurse and members of the South African Police Service (SAPS) and the International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol).

He is accused of being the mastermind behind his wife's murder in an alleged staged hijacking.

Anni Dewani was shot dead in an alleged staged hijacking in Gugulethu while the couple were on their honeymoon.

The 34-year-old multimillionaire businessman has been extradited to South Africa from the United Kingdom to be charged and processed in connection with the 2010 murder of his wife.

Three other men are already serving lengthy jail terms for their roles in the murder.

Upon Dewani's arrival journalists were unable to catch sight of the suspect, as he was not taken through the main arrivals terminal.

The department says Dewani boarded the charted plane at Bristol Airport on Monday night.

Officials say he was brought to Cape Town aboard a private plane because he displayed suicidal tendencies and the South African government did not want to take chances with his safety.

The department's spokesperson says Dewani's medical condition needed to be monitored and the situation on a commercial flight had the potential to compromise it.


Journalists are in place, police and security guards are on duty and courtroom one is ready. Reporters are camped inside and outside the court and a row of cameras is trained on an entrance to the court.

Brandishing placards reading, "South Africa is not for criminals," African National Congress Women's League members are making their presence felt outside the court house.

Meanwhile, Anni's relatives say they want answers about exactly what happened on the day she was murdered.

Her uncle Ashock Hindocha says, "It is now going to be about Anni and what really happened to her. Three and a half years and there's been no indication of what happened to Anni."

Anni Dewani's final footsteps.