No arrests after Khayelitsha vigilante killings
Three separate vigilante killings have taken place at the Cape Town township recently.
CAPE TOWN - No arrests have been made in connection with three separate vigilante killings in Khayelitsha, Cape Town police revealed on Tuesday.
Community members attacked two men after accusing them of stealing a crate of beer at the weekend.
In another incident, the body of a 24-year-old man was at a nearby street just hours later.
Police spokesperson Frederick van Wyk says, "The circumstances are still being investigated and we've opened cases of murder. Anyone that can assist us with information pertaining to these incidents is kindly requested to contact Crime Stop."
Western Cape Police Commissioner Arno Lamoer says it is not fair to expect him to apologise for the high levels of crime in Khayelitsha.
The top cops made the comments at the Khayelitsha Commission of Inquiry last week.
The hearing was set up by Western Cape Premier Helen Zille to probe a breakdown in relations between community members and police in the area.
At least 78 vigilante murders were recorded in the township between 2011 and 2012.
Lamoer insisted these were not necessarily a result of poor policing.